Saturday, April 18, 2009

I am a Sick Single Dad This Weekend

This is the first time my wife has been away from our baby overnight. And it is overwhelming. No, not the work. That isn't bad. And she isn't going to be gone much longer. And yet I can't help but think, what if? What if this were my life? What if I were a single dad? My senses are heightened, my fears deepened. I am the sole protector of my little girl. I hear her cough and despair at the thought that she might really be sick. What do I do? And I am sick too right now. What if I get really sick? How would I go to work and take care of her?

The pain of those around you becomes more real when you experience that pain yourself. Your empathy increases the closer you get. And tonight I feel the plight and pain of single parents. What saints these people are. Pray for them, seek them out, serve them ceaselessly. I know I will.

And if you have a spouse, cherish them with all of your might. They truly are gifts from God.

1 comments:

Annie said...

Your post made me think of this foundation I found the other day online. It's a way to support those who are forced to be single parents because of tragedy. (Not to bring you down, or freak you out, or anything of the sort. But wait a minute, I probably am doing all of the above by even bringing it up. Oh well, it's still worth sharing.)

http://thelizlogelinfoundation.org/