Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ann Coulter is Just Like Everyone Else

Ann is obviously a lightening rod, and there are times when I am left scratching my head (while laughing) at her rhetoric. But she is human, and that was especially evident in a eulogy she wrote of her mom who died last week. Here's how it opened:
A lot of people claim to be my No. 1 fan -- God bless them -- but my true No. 1 fan left this world last week. My mother quietly stopped breathing last Tuesday, as she slept peacefully, holding my hand.

She was the biggest fan of all of us -- Father, me and my brothers John and Jim.

After reading the eulogy column I wrote for Father last year -- not to excess, probably only about 4,637 times -- Mother realized to her chagrin that she wouldn't be able to read the eulogy column I'd be writing for her, and started hinting that maybe I could rustle up a draft so she could take a peek.

But I couldn't do it, until I had to.
Death is death. It is the great equalizer. Left or right, we all are moved by those who are in the midst of its delivered grief. Ann, if you didn't know, loves Jesus (I know, she has a ways to go). She brings him up at the end:
So now she's with Daddy and Jesus. Every single day since Daddy died last year, Mother would say how much she missed him and gaze at his photo, telling us what an amazing man he was and repeating his little expressions and jokes. Even though I miss her, I'm glad they're together again.

I don't know about Jesus, but I think Daddy was getting impatient. But Mommy was always running a little bit late.
Whole thing.

0 comments: