Thursday, September 4, 2008

Idolatry, Take 3

Lest you think I am not susceptible to the idolatry I pointed out earlier (here and here), let me set the record straight. I am as easily capable of making politics, among many other things, into an idol as anyone else. I partly wish, for purely personal reasons, that John McCain had not selected Sarah Palin as his running mate. I was disinterested in the whole thing, and it felt good. But that's not how it has always been. I remember staying up until 4 in the morningthe day after the presidential election in November 2000, praying the George Bush would get elected. I was so consumed with the race and getting the right guy elected that I literally made it into an idol. I had forgotten that God was in control. He was the one I should have looked to, depended on.

I pray I have learned my lesson. Because Palin represents my "values" and is an evangelical, she (with McCain) could easily become an idol in my life. I could quickly come to depend more on their winning than on the God who created me and sustains me. It is good in these times, therefore, to remember a frew things:

1. No matter who gets elected Jesus is coming back to the world on the same day.
2. God will elect to office the person who will bring about his sovereign will.
3. No politican can stand as a substitue on my behalf, saving me for eternity.

0 comments: