Monday, June 1, 2009

Jon and Kate Plus "Material Things"

I am one of the few men that has admitted he has watched and enjoyed Jon and Kate Plus Eight. It is interesting and the kids are cute. But the cuteness, if you haven't heard, has left the show. I didn't see the first episode this year, but from what I have heard, it was painfully awkward. Jon and Kate, if you don't know, are struggling in their marriage (there are a multiplicity of issues at play).

What is most troubling about it all is that they have chosen to stay with the TV show despite the harmful effect it is having on their marriage (they just signed on to do 39 more episodes). Jon, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, said that they thought about quitting, but that the perks were too much to give up. "You know," he said, "the material things."

This sort of capitulation to the world flies in the face of what good, Godly male leadership should be. Men, stand up. We are called to sacrifice for all sorts of reasons. And I am pretty sure I would put saving my marriage near the top of that list.

Also read Lynn Roush on this topic.

0 comments: