Monday, June 22, 2009

The Westminster Shorter Catechism

Have you ever read The Westminster Shorter Catechism? 107 questions and answers that do a fine job of succinctly explaining the (Reformed) Christian faith.

Question Number one:
Q: What is the chief end of man?
A: Man's chief end is to glorify God (1) and to enjoy him forever (2).

(1) Corinthians 10:31. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Romans 11:36. For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

(2) Psalm 73:24-26. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God isthe strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
John 17:22, 24. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one... Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

0 comments: