Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why is Christianity True?

Why is Christianity true?

Normal Christian response: Because of what Jesus has done in my life.

Correct response: Because we know that Jesus existed in space and time, that the scriptures speak to his historicity, that he lived, died and rose again, that he was an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Or, not because I believe it, but because it actually happened and continues to be reality.

What is faith in Christianity?

Normal Christian response: It is a feeling I get in my heart that Jesus loves me; it is a burning in my bosom.

Correct response: Faith is the reasoned decision, based on particular historical and empirical evidence, that Christianity is truer than any other religion (based primarily on the work of Christ). Or, it is not blind feeling, but that belief in Jesus is not just possible, not just plausible, but something that is probable.

For a longer discussion on this topic, listen to this radio broadcast.

0 comments: