Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pres. Obama? Don't Fret

Though the task is mostly dubious, my wife likes to try and understand the sovereignty of God. That is, she likes to try and understand why God does what he does. Now, of course, some of this is not only fine to do, but good. We should praise God for the things he does in our lives. "Logistical praises" my wife says. However, if you try and press our understanding of God's will too far, you'll undoubtedly start speculating and get confused. His intellect is infinite, his knowledge supremely great. And so you can make a few logical connections with regard to his intentions and purpose. Even suffering: "I am suffering because God wants me to learn patience." Sure (Romans 5). But how your suffering will affect those around you and then how those people will affect the people around them...well, that is not for us to know or understand. And for that, we are called to praise: "Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" (Romans 11:33).

Let Me Try and Understand God for You

But we can know some things. I was thinking this morning about the election. I am hoping and praying that Obama doesn't get in, lest he get his hands on the lives of more babies. That scares and saddens me. But then I asked myself, What would God be up to if he let Obama win? Every election is under God's control (Rom 13), so a win for Barack would obviously be a work from God. What, then, could he be up to. On the details, I have no idea. But I know some general things about God that let me paint some outlines of what he is doing.

In truth, there is one piece of information I have that allows me to try and understand his will. God is about God. He does everything for his own glory (Isa. 42:8). And for humans, his goal is that they glorify him (Isa. 43:7). And they glorify him by turning to Christ, getting covered by his righteousness and then, out of their joy, glorifying him. Now how do people turn to God? They give up on the idols in their lives and finally see God for who and what he is, to finally taste that he is good (1 Pet. 2:3).

Destroying Idolatry

Now what does this have to do with Barack Obama? I have written a bit on how many Americans, it seems, have turned politics (and mainly Obama) into an idol (here, here and here). They are so desperate for a savior, for something or someone to give them meaning, that they have put all their hope in an election, in a man. But what do idols do? They fail. It doesn't matter how much hope we fill them with. They will always fail. And so, if I want to know at least the outlines to what God would be doing by putting Obama in office, I would have to say he would do it to get those men and women to see Obama for who and what he truly is: a man. Though he might be successful, he is incapable of bestowing meaning and joy. And that, for those who hope in him, will be devastating.

God knows what he is doing. And if I understand God at all, he wants people to turn to him. Perhaps this will happen when Obama (or any idol) fails them. Let's hope and pray for this.

0 comments: