Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why It is Important that this President is Black

Everyone (most everyone) on the right came out after Obama's win and said, "Well, it's good that the country has grown up enough to elect an African-American president." I scoffed at that. Not because it wasn't good, but because it didn't matter to me. "Who cares? Our only concern should have been the ideas he stands for, not the color of his skin." But that was naive. For two reasons: (1) I am not a racist, and (2) I did not grow up in a racist culture. It took Anthony Bradley, a brother in Christ, theologian and author, to show me that the election of Barack Obama is huge.

Please read his phenomenal article he wrote for World Magazine. He writes:
When CNN announced that Barack Obama had the electoral votes needed to win, the euphoria in the room I was in was deafening. I had never experienced anything quite like it. Many of us stood still in shock while others jumped and danced followed by people weeping.

I was so confident that Obama was going to win the election I skipped a McCain-Palin party last night to attend an election night gathering co-hosted by two St. Louis R&B and hip-hop radio stations. Although I disagree with Obama’s views on abortion and his economic philosophy, among other things, I wanted to witness the reaction and celebration with an all-black crowd. I was not prepared for what happened: Euphoria and weeping about a man representing an idea.
Bradley Continues:

Leading up to Obama’s victory speech, the DJ would insert the question, “Are you guys ready for the first black president?” The room would then erupt in cheers and whistling. Then it hit me: For the folks in this room this election was not about policy but an idea. I’ve been told my whole life that a black man could never become the nation’s president. I will never forget hearing those words escape the mouth of Peter Jennings a few years ago on the “ABC Nightly News,” as he reported the findings of a study on race.

I stood in front of the television stunned and discouraged.
Last night, however, the idea that someone other than a white man, a mixed-race man, in fact, could become president became a reality. The realization of this idea created a contagion of cheers and weeping. I wish my grandparents, who lived under the tyranny of Jim Crow laws in the South and through the turmoil of the civil-rights movement, could have lived to see what happened last night. They would be very happy.

John McCain had no idea how powerful his words were when he said, “This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.” On hearing this, the room erupted again in celebration. Who would have ever imagined the first lady of the United States would be a black woman?

For many in the room I realized that “change” was not so much about political change but cultural change. There was a determination to vote a man into office that represented a possibility—namely, that a black man could be president.
He concludes, focusing attention on Evangelicalism:
A black pastor friend in North Carolina called and asked, “Anthony, can you believe it?” We were sobered by the fact that evangelicalism essentially has no Asians, Latinos, or blacks that share the influence and respect of men like John Piper, Tim Keller, John MacArthur, Mark Dever, James Dobson, Chuck Colson, and so on (unless the topic is related to race). Oddly, conservative evangelical’s favorite black go-to guy is a Roman Catholic named Alan Keyes. Is that the best evangelicals can come up with?

Even though some conservative evangelicals, in talking about me, have said “Bradley’s an ignorant baboon,” there is hope for change in an idea in evangelicalism, too. Concerning this election, my theology frees me from anxiety about America in a world sustained by God, but it raises a new interesting set of questions about the church in America and whom we consider our leaders.
Again, the whole thing is phenomenal. Though I am terrified that Obama will make it easier to kill babies, I am happy that one good idea has broken through: the color of your skin should mean nothing. God is slowly restoring relations among the races. No, he won't make us all look the same. Rather, we will someday say joyfully, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus," (Galatians 3:28).

My hope for the country is that we would quickly move past this. Ultimately, race doesn't matter. Ideas matter. It is most excellent that our president is African-America. It is highly unfortunate that this African-American man's ideas are so godless.

And yet, we can rejoice for now. Our president is black.

4 comments:

Bryan Hansen said...

I have a ton of thoughts about this. May need to give you a call. Thibite's message at T4G on race, is interesting. I would especially like to hear his take on this. One question: what happens in Obama fails? I mean miserably? What if he ends up with a legacy like GW? What will that do for race relations? Will it hurt them? Will it be enough that we had a black president? I am not sure. But I am jaded, DID grow up in a racist community and don't trust politicians or myself at this point.

Ryan Phelps said...

I think that is a good question. I guess I would have to ask, also, how would he fail? Failing like W. is different than failing like Clinton.

My inclination is to say it doesn't matter. And that is my hope. That's the sense I got from the Bradley article. Yes, black people who voted for him voted because they like the man and the ideas. But it is deeper for them than it is for me. They know now that the presidency is not just for white guys anymore. That would seem to be enough.

Part of the problem, though, is that we have no historical antecedent to look back to to determine if this is going to be helpful. MLK and Lincoln live on in history because, (1) They had great ideas and (2) they were great men. Who knows how much the latter has to do with the change that came as a result of their ideas. I don't think Obama is great at all. That's why his ideas are so lame. But will that trump the historical truth that America elected a black man to the presidency? I don't know.

Again, my hope is that it won't.

Bryan Hansen said...

Here is what I found from Thabiti...

http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/11/thabiti-anyabwile-day-after.html

Ryan Phelps said...

That's a good word. Of course we are to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. "Vote as though you're not voting," as Piper says.

I suppose my aim in pointing to Bradley and Robinson (today) is to point to something that white people just can't understand. I am pretty sure that the reaction from the black community would have been the same had any black man or woman been elected. Even Alan Keyes.

I do agree that Obama's election won't solve, once and for all, the problem of race relations. But it is a step forward (I think).

I am going to write later on the thing that will ultimately end all racial discrimination: the gospel.