Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Content

I am oddly content the morning after. And I was relatively hopeful that McCain could pull it out, despite the polls. But when FoxNews called Ohio for Obama, and I knew it was over, I quietly walked over to the TV and turned it off, content.

Though I know Obama will do everything he can, even if passively, to make abortion in America more accessible, I am satisfied that he will be my president. That's only because God is my God. And God is Obama's God (even if his beliefs are errant). And that means God is entirely in charge of Obama. Entirely. President Obama will do nothing outside of the sovereign control of God, and that leads me to contentment.

Nevertheless, our task is prayer. I am learning that more and more. I am in the middle of George Muller's Autobiography. Overseeing many orphanages in the 19th century, he lived a life of faith and prayer, always expectant that God would provide for him. Thoughts of his life permeated my soul last night as Obama won state after state. "Pray," I thought. Pray for Obama, for my state, for my leaders, for the voters, for the world. God will give us everything we need. Read this excerpt from Muller's work (p. 41-42):
In March I was again tempted to doubt the faithfulness of the Lord. Although I was not worried about money, I was not fully resting upon Him so that I could triumph with joy. One hour later the Lord gave me another proof of His faithful love. A Christian lady brought five sovereigns for us, with these words written on paper: "I was hungry and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink."

On the morning of April 16 our money was reduced to three shillings. I said to myself, "I must now go and ask the Lord earnestly for fresh supplies." But before I had prayed, two pounds were sent from Exeter as proof that the Lord hears before we call.

Some may say that such a way of life leads a Christian away from the Lord and from caring about spiritual things. They say it may cause the mind to be occupied with questions like: "What shall I eat, what shall I drink, and what shall I wear?" I have experienced both ways and know that my present manner of living by trusting God for temporal things is connected with less care. Trusting the Lord for the supply of my temporal needs keeps me from anxious thoughts like: "Will my salary last and will I have enough for the next month?” In this freedom I am able to say, “My Lord is not limited. He knows my present situation, and He can supply all I need." Rather than causing anxiety, living by faith in God alone keeps my heart in perfect peace.
May we be filled with faith like Muller, praying all the while that God would do as he pleases and that we would be happy.

0 comments: