Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kill Me, But Don't Keep Me From Being Liked

I am finally getting to Ed Welch's book When People Are Big and God Is Small.  I have heard plenty about it and even used a section I found online in a sermon.  When I am helping someone through acceptance issues or, more frequently, when I am struggling with my own desperate desire to be liked, I use the title in the form of a question: "Are you making people big and God small?"  There is perhaps no issue that is more destructive, no issue that will drive people more regularly to sin.  It usually isn't money or sex or power that entices.  Usually, those things are only a means by which they can get what they really want: love.  Sadly, I speak from experience.         
I'll be posting some of the more poignant paragraphs and phrases from Ed's book.  Already many of them have driven me to hide underneath the dining room table.  For example, Ed describes how we fear rejection more than we fear God (p. 39):
It all sounds too familiar.  Sometimes we would prefer to die for Jesus than to live for him.  If someone had the power to kill us for our profession of faith, I imagine that most Christians would say, "Yes, I am a believer in Jesus Christ," even if it meant death.  The threat of torture might make people think twice, but I think most Christians would acknowledge Christ.  However, if making the decision for Jesus means that we might spend years being unpopular, ignored, poor, or criticized, then there are masses of Christians who put their faith on the shelf.  "Death is not immanent, so why hurry into such a rash decision?"  "There will be time later to get things straight with God."

In other words, kill me, but don't keep me from being liked, appreciated, or respected.

0 comments: