Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Combatting Spiritual Drought

Though this advice from Craig Groeschel comes from a pastor's perspective, I think it is helpful for everyone:

I am as susceptible to spiritual droughts as the next pastor. Because I know my vulnerabilities, I work hard to keep my passion alive.

Here are a few things I try to revisit:

  • See God working in another part of the world. God is so much bigger than what we see week in and week out and our churches.
  • Visit an impoverished place at least once a year. Some moms choose what to feed their children. Some moms have to choose which children to feed. Putting yourself in a place that crushes your heart keeps the passion alive.
  • Fasting. I don’t know why fasting works, but it does.
  • Develop friendships with non-Christians. Caring about people far from God helps keep me closer to God.
  • Devoted time to prayer. If I don’t spend time with my wife away from all the other pressures, it is hard for us to stay close. My relationship with God is the same. If I don’t spend time with Him, how can I know Him?
  • Give extravagantly. Something about giving big breaks the grip of this world and connects me closer to God.
  • Cry. For a number of years, I didn’t cry. I’m not sure I could cry. By God’s grace, I broke through it and can cry easily now.
  • Visit a cemetery. Seeing today in light of eternity always changes me.
HT: Z

0 comments: