Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Breakup Record to God

Oh, I mean a breakup record about a "particular narrative about God." Brilliant.

David Bazan. So awesome, so weird. I came into Pedro the Lion's stuff way late, but I am glad I finally saw the light. Bazan's sound is always unique and his lyrics always insightful and provocative. I am still haunted by his tune "Rapture" about a cheating spouse.

Bazan used to be a fundy evangelical. But rather than be really weird and stay a Christian in da biz, he went the boring way and has allowed his faith to "evolve." Indy that is not. He consistently dips his toes in heretical sounding prose now (I heard him at a show talk about "Jebus"), but at least he's honest about his war against God.

Anyway, here's an interview with him on ABC:


On a side note, does anyone else get the feeling that that reporter might be a Christian? He's the one who has done the segments on Mars Hill and Driscoll. Just wondering.

HT: JA

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad.

Maria. said...

I think that he looked very nervous when he was explaining his change of heart, almost like he was trying to convince himself. I agree with Jessica, it is so sad.